- Melanie Tays is actually my maiden name. Since 2004, when I married my husband, Chris, my name is Melanie James. I write under my maiden name because it’s unique.
- I had a few detours in my early adulthood before finally deciding to pursue writing. I started out as a registered nurse. On the first day of my critical care rotation, my professor asked us all what we would have wanted to do if we could do absolutely anything and couldn’t be a nurse. I said I would be an author. When I told her I would write fiction because I hate research, I don’t think I impressed her very much (oops). I lucked out, though, and got to do both: seven years as a nurse (mostly working in home healthcare) and now I spend my days weaving stories to share with you.
- I am the designer of the card game Launch Pad, published by Stratus Games. I came up with the game in a single night, and 90% of it never changed through all our play testing. I think more than a few fights have started over the strong take-that factor in the game. It turns out some people are a lot more serious about their game play than I am (oops again).
- I love to play board games and card games. My husband and I own over 650 games. Of course, this is also because we are the creators of Casual Game Revolution and Casual Game Insider Magazine, so it’s not all fun and games—pun intended.
- I’m incredibly entrepreneurial. Just for fun, I like to think of ideas for new start-ups or how to market a business. It sometimes drives my husband a little crazy (“Why can’t we just go to Disney Land without spending half our time there discussing the logistics of starting a theme park?”) So, as I’m sure you can imagine, I’m super fun at parties.
So that’s me. Now I would love to hear about you. What’s something quirky and interesting about you? What do you like to read? Send me a message, or leave a comment and let me know.